COMMUNIQUE - RENOVATIONS AND DELIVERIES UPDATE
Several months ago the Board of Directors updated the Contractor Information Document to say board approval was not necessary for renovations to units. We have since determined our bylaws indicate Board approval is indeed necessary, so we’ve made that update, effective February 1, 2021. Note that the notification process for large deliveries and roof access did not change.
Below is the updated PILOT HOUSE CONDO ASSOCIATION CONTRACTOR RULES AND INFORMATION document and a new PILOT HOUSE RENOVATION APPROVAL and DELIVERY NOTIFICATION FORM to use when requesting either board approval or to notify Robin of deliveries etc. You can also email Robin the notification process if you choose not to use the form (just be sure and include the info requested). When requesting Board approval for renovations, please do use the new form; when you’re done, just scan it and email it Robin.
Please read these two documents carefully and make sure your contractor or mover is aware of the process for them when working in the Pilot House. Lately we’ve seen some contractors use our carts and trash room dumpster, leave the elevators pads up over weekends, illegally park outside our garage etc. Please help us have all contractors and movers follow the rules. Additionally, during these Covid days, please remind your contractor(s) or movers that they must always wear a mask when moving around in the building.
If you have any questions, contact Stephanie Stringer at firstname.lastname@example.org PILOT HOUSE CONDO ASSOCIATION CONTRACTOR RULES AND INFORMATION FEBRUARY 2021 BEFORE WORK BEGINS, per Section 5.7 of our PH By-laws, WRITTEN BOARD APPROVAL IS REQUIRED FOR ANY STRUCTURAL ADDITION, ALTERATION, OR IMPROVEMENT IN OR TO A UNIT OR BOAT SLIP FOR OWNERS
WRITTEN APPROVAL FOR RENOVATIONS BEFORE work begins, complete the PILOT HOUSE RENOVATION AND DELIVERY FORM and scan and email or fax it to Robin Jopp. Include: the scope of the project (i.e. removing walls, changing kitchen cabinets and/or appliances, glass doors or windows, flooring, dock work etc.), contractor’s name and phone, start date, expected end date and liability coverage**. Allow 1-2 weeks lead time for approval. Notify Robin when project is completed.
NOTIFICATION FOR LARGE DELIVERIES/REMOVALS, ROOF ACCESS & SMALL JOBS Outside of any renovations, if you expect a large delivery or removal of a major appliance, furniture, carpeting, etc. or have any work on the upper or lower roof (i.e. maintaining or replacing an HVAC unit) owners must notify* Robin Jopp. Small jobs (painting walls, minor electrical work, plumbing repair etc.) don’t require any notification or approval. *notification includes your unit #, date of service, contractor name and phone and if they have liability coverage**
**Liability coverage: requested by the Board; not required. If your contractor does not have this coverage for any damage to the common elements such as the roof, walls, flooring, paint, furniture, elevators, walkways, etc., THE OWNER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO THESE OR OTHER COMMON AREAS.
1. Inform your contractor they may use the designated parking spaces for service workers in the upper lot (the 2 closest to the walkway to the lobby) if available. If your contractor requires a temporary street parking permit, either you or your contractor can obtain a 30-day permit from the City of Norfolk for a fee.
2. Assure any renovations comply with the Pilot House Rules and Regulations.
3. With your contractor, review the CONTRACTORS/TECHNICIANS section below and be sure they adhere to these guidelines.
4. Accompany your contractor for large deliveries/removals to assure no damage is done.
FOR ALL CONTRACTORS/TECHNICIANS
1. May work only between 8 AM and 5 PM and are restricted to weekdays, except in emergency situations.
2. May not park in the spaces to the right or left of the PH garage doors, and may not remove the orange barrel to make space to park. These are illegal spaces and block a resident’s exit from the garage, our trash pickup, and the city’s fire hydrant.
3. May not smoke anywhere on Pilot House grounds.
4. May not leave open and unattended or blocked: all glass entry doors, main entry gate, upper lot garage gates, or lower lot garage doors or any other entry/exit door.
5. May not use the Pilot House luggage, grocery and/or pier carts.
6. May not use the Pilot House trash room, dumpsters or recycle bins.
1. Must cover common area carpets with runners or other protection for their work pathways.
2. May use only one elevator and must install the wall pads and floor covering during the time any work is performed. These may be kept in the elevator overnight on the days work is being conducted, but both must be removed on the weekends, folded and placed under the stairs in the 2nd floor south stairwell. With 3-day notice to Robin Jopp (486-6000), our cleaning service will install and remove these elevator protections.
EXCEPTIONS TO THESE RULES
Any exceptions need written approval from the Board. Please contact Robin Jopp (486-6000) to start this process.
· Placed on the Pilot House Website for unit owners https://www.norfolkpilothouse.com
· Placed on the Pilot House Bulletin Board, including extra copies for easy access for owners.
· Provided by Robin Jopp to contractors commissioned by the board for any general work done at the Pilot House.
CONTRACTOR INFORMATION FEBRUARY 2021.docx
PILOT HOUSE RENOVATION APPROVAL and DELIVERY NOTIFICATION FORM
PLEASE COMPLETE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE
CONTRACTOR RULES AND INFORMATION FEBRUARY, 2021
Use this form for either board approval for renovations (allow 1-2 weeks) or to notify Robin Jopp of large deliveries or removals.
BOARD APPROVAL: FOR IMPROVEMENT/ALTERATION TO UNIT OR BOAT SLIP: include the scope of the renovation (i.e. removing walls, replacing kitchen cabinets and/or appliances, doors, window glass, flooring, specific dock work etc.). Add a second sheet if necessary. Emergencies will be handled on a case by case basis.
NOTIFICATION TO ROBIN JOPP: DELIVERY OR REMOVAL of a major appliance, furniture, carpeting, etc. or any work on the upper or lower roof (i.e. maintaining or replacing an HVAC unit). Note that you can also just email Robin Jopp at email@example.com with this same information.
NAME: _____________________________________UNIT # ________________________
BEST PHONE # TO REACH YOU _______________________________________
BEGIN DATE OF THE PROJECT _____ EXPECTED END DATE OF PROJECT ________
CONTRACTOR’S NAME _________________ CONTRACTOR’S PHONE: ____________
DOES THE CONTRACTOR HAVE LIABILITY COVERAGE? YES______ NO______ DON’T KNOW______
Description of renovations or delivery/removal
SCAN AND EMAIL OR FAX COMPLETED FORM TO: Robin Jopp, Association Manager for the Pilot House at
When your job is completed, please email Robin at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 757-486-6000 to let her know.
Questions? Call Robin Jopp at 757-486-6000